IAF ( Indian Air Force) or (Bharatiya Vayu Sena) . It is the air arm of the Indian Armed Force and is the world’s fourth largest air force .
It was established on 8 October 1932 as an auxiliary air forces of the British Empire. The Prefix Royal was added in 1945 in recognition of its service during World War ll. And after when India got independence in 1947 the IAF served the Dominion of India. Since independence, the IAF has been involved in four wars with Pakistan and one with China .
There are some operations also which had been done by our IAF . Some major operations are : Operation Vijay , Operation Meghdoot , Operation Cactus and Operation Poomalai . IAF also has been an active participant in United Nation peacekeeping missions . The President of India serves as Supreme Commander of the IAF .
Some interesting facts about IAF
1. Flying officer Nirmal Jit Singh Sekkon is the only IAF officer to have been honoured with the Param Veer Chakra . He was awarded posthumously for his act of conspicuous gallantry in the 1971 Indo-Pak war.
2. The Indian Air Force actually never directly engaged the Pakistani Air Forces in 1947 war.
3. The IAF was technologically inferior to the PAF in 1965.
4. India is building the 5th generation Sukhoi PAK FA in collaboration with Russia.
5. At its peak IAF operated about 224 squadrons . As per latest available data , the force has 1,475 strong aircraft fleet , including trainers , transport aircraft and helicopter.
6. The IAF got its first woman Air Marshals in the form of Padmavathy Bandopadhyay . She was director general Medical services (Air) at the Air Headquarter .
7. The Air Force has over 60 air bases spread all over India.
8. With 16 air bases , the western Air Command is the largest Air Command.
9. At 22,000 ft Siachen glacier AFS is the highest Air Force station of IAF .
10. The IAF roundel logo on the planner & IAF flag has changed four times since 1933 . And Ashok Chakra was the roundel from 1947-50 .
11. It referred as Royal India Air Force from 1945 to 50 .
12. The IAF created a world record by performing the highest landing of a C-130J at the Daulat beg oldi airstrip in Ladakh at the height of 16614 ft.
13. IAF first HAL made fighter was HF – 24 Maurat.
14. The Tejas is the 2nd Supersonic Light Combat Aircraft develop by HAL- Hindustan Aeronantics United